Our office mission statement is “We aim to improve the lives of all people who enter our office, with traditional, specific, hands-on Chiropractic” as it was intended by the founder 125 years ago.
- Chiropractic is putting things right!
- Chiropractic is the philosophy of cause.
- Chiropractic is about correction so that your body can function optimally.
- Chiropractic is not medicine, drugs nor surgery and it is different to physiotherapy, even though we realise these professions have an important role in society.
- Chiropractic is named from the Greek roots “Ki-ro” and “prak-tik” to mean done with the hand.
Gonstead Chiropractic System
We aim to assess and correct the alignment of your spine and extremities, to remove any nerve interference which will allow your body to heal to its full innate potential, to function properly and be pain free. The Gonstead Chiropractic System is a very thorough and highly specific application of hands-on of chiropractic. We can offer advice on diet and exercise and on ways to best manage your injury.
The first Chiropractic adjustment was delivered by Dr DD Palmer in 1895.
In his book, the Chiropractor’s adjuster, published in 1910 he had this to say about Chiropractic:
“Any person can learn to hit the high places, replace and displace vertebrae, relieve one disease and cause others. Let us, as Chiropractors, show the world that Chiropractic is a science……. Why not be specific…. Why not combine the science of Chiropractic with the art of adjusting?”
We treasure these words written by Dr Palmer, the founder of Chiropractic: If you are a chiropractor, do your first thoughts begin to think:
- Where is the vertebral subluxation?
- Where is the interference between Innate and function?
- Then you take spirographs.
- And then you are ready to deliver an adjustment.
- Is an hour enough time, or is that too long?
- How long does it take to give an adjustment?
Is one second enough, or should it be stretched out to an hour or more with adjuncts, appliances, soothers, salves and what have you? Anything more than this simple approach is camouflage, evasion, deceit, or alibi, to try and impress the patient that you are more than you are and Chiropractic is less than it is. One of the early Chiropractic educators, Dr RW Stephenson had this to say about Chiropractic in 1927:
- “Chiropractic is a philosophy, science and art of things natural; a system of adjusting the segments of the spinal column by hand only, for the correction of the cause of dis-ease.”
- Chiropractic Philosophy is the explanation of Chiropractic. It explains “the why” of everything Chiropractic. The explanation of cause and effect. It embraces the Chiropractic view of all the studies concerned in its science.”